The web was invented to help people find related information quickly. Search engines came along to help cull through the glut of online material, and deliver the most relevant results.
- Search engine looks at your web site
- Search engine determines key words and places a copy of your web site content into its index
- Web searcher visits search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing) and types what they are looking for
- Search engine looks in its index for a match, largely based on key words
- Search engine finds a match for the searcher, and display a list of “hits”
The words that the web searcher and search engine are both referring to and agreeing on are called keywords